Auto-attach VHDs provides the administrator the ability to move directories, with their contained files and sub-directories, to a VHD or VHDX volume. When the contents of the directory are accessed, FSLogix Apps dynamically attaches the VHD and seamlessly redirects to the attached volume.
This feature is useful to reduce the size of the base image. Applications whose files normally consume a large amount of disk space can have those files placed in a VHD where they are immediately available when needed.
The VHD can be created by any means, but FSLogix Apps provides a tool that can be used for this purpose. The FSLogix Apps command-line utility,
The VHD can be located on the local drive or on a network drive. Local paths must be in drive letter format (C:\vhd). Network paths must be in UNC format (\\server\share\vhd).
If the VHD is on a network drive, Read permission for the VHD file must be given to the Active Directory computer object.
Create a VHD Auto-attach Rule using the FSLogix Apps Rule Editor.
Specify the folder that should be redirected, and the location of the VHD or VHDX file.
Assign users to receive this VHD using the Manage Assignments dialog.
Copy the created
.fxa files to the
C:\Program Files\FSLogix\Apps\Rules folder on each computer where you want the Auto-attach Rule applied.
Requirements and Notes
- FSLogix Apps uses the VHD capabilities of the Windows Operating System (No hypervisor is required).
- VHDs are supported on Windows 7+ Operating Systems.
- VHDXs are supported on Windows 8+ Operating Systems.
- The directory that is to be redirected to the VHD must exist in the base system.
- Note that VHDs are opened in read-only mode. VHDs cannot be changed and they can also therefore be used simultaneously by multiple computers.